Saturday, March 31, 2007

Brie is not a cheese

I thought I'd recount a story that one of my friends told me last week. The setting is a large company, where slowly the Corporate IT department is standardizing everything it can. For whatever reasons, the computers in my friend's workgroup were all named after cheeses: cheddar, stilton, etc.

However, when the time came to add another machine, the IT department said "We're sorry, you can't call it after a cheese, we have to follow the corporate standard naming convention. Now, the machine is located in Bristol, so the first three letters of its name are B-R-I. And then, as it's an engineering machine, the next letter is E, followed by a three digit serial code. So the name of your new machine is B-R-I-E-1-3-4".

No comments:

Search This Blog