Saturday, April 05, 2008

Be Broadband update

Progress report.

Be have been very efficient in supplying the wireless router and setting up ADSL-2 on my phone line. I had to squeeze in a quick test before I jetted off on business for a few days and boys was I disappointed. The ADLS modem told me I was getting a bit over 6 MBit/s - not the 16 Mbit/s I'd been expecting. A call to Be's technical services ensued. They got me to disconnect my home wiring and to try again - a bit over 12 Mbit/s.

Back from my trip and taking advice from various websites, forums and wikis, I bought an ADSL filtered faceplate from ADSL Nation. It was easy fit - I already had the necessary punchdown tool - and has had the desired effect - I'm getting 12.4 Mbit/s.

I've reconfigured a few settings and I'm now trying running my network on Be. So far so good. Some things fell very snappy compared to Virgin, other things seem similar. I still haven't tried any proper speed tests but so far so acceptable.

No comments:

Search This Blog