Sunday, May 13, 2007

Problems with a slug

I run a fairly large IT set up at home. Five or six computers - mostly Windows - a couple of wireless routers, a switch, a cable modem and a slug (NLSU2) with a couple of largish usb disks. The slug is my network file sever - essential when you have so many machines. I chose the slug because it was cheap, flexible and let me do automated backups.

However, it is not the most reliable of beasts. I've had lots of problems with backups falling over, and find that I often have to rebuild the file system on another Linux machine. Recently things have been getting worse. I think the problem is that at least one of the USB disks - probably the backup one - is going bad. So, I decided to replace them with some new disks. "It must be easy to upgrade the disks". One weekend later and I'm not so sure.

I got the machine to boot with the new main disk once - and not since. I'm now trying the backup disk. 236 GByte copied so far. I don't think I'll get to know the outcome until new weekend now as I'm increasing my carbon footprint again this week. I hope to blog from the N800 from India.

No comments:

Search This Blog